I am a highly motivated, hard working application developer with a large amount of experience in back end infrastructure and server technologies as well. I have a keen interest in video games, especially with the more recent leaps in technology such as VR, AR and AI/Machine Learning. I relish a challenge and am not put off by not knowing something, I’ll either work it out, or find someone who does know and learn from them.
Game Developer: 1st November 2017 – Present Day
- Planning, prototyping, and evaluation of game ideas using Unity 3D.
- Start to finish project management.
- All areas of game programming using C#.
- 3D Modelling and texturing using Blender.
- Audio manipulation/tidy up using Audacity.
- Working with third party tools/assets where required due to any skill gaps (artwork, audio composition, sound effects)
- Assembly and testing of the finished product.
- Producing and maintaining documentation.
- Match Two – Android – January 2018
Full Stack Developer / DevOps Engineer: October 2016 – Present Day
- Development of back end/server side tools to better capture and process data using PHP and the Lumen framework.
- Implementation and management of new Elasticsearch backend to improve data searching speeds for the Admin team, and to reduce load on the SQL servers.
- Investigate and implement new methods of data processing utilising machine learning (Python, OpenCV, Tensorflow) to improve automation and increase data processing speed.
- Configure, Install, monitor and manage server infrastructure, and take appropriate steps to insure data capacity and growth is managed and that any issues are handled quickly and with minimal impact to customers.
- Create and maintain documentation for both new tools and systems as well as for infrastructure systems.
Senior Third Line Engineer / IT Consultant / DevOps Engineer: October 2013 – October 2016
- Automate core process using custom built C# tools to reduce the amount of time spent creating reports and managing systems and improve general quality of life for the Service Desk.
- Maintain and manage our own internal infrastructure, a mixture of Windows Server 2008 through to 2012 and several Windows Azure based Linux servers (Ubuntu) that were utilised by our development team.
- Proactively monitor and maintain client infrastructure, document and raise any potential issues or improvements with Project Management.
- Provide a point of technical escalation for 1st and 2nd line engineers for complex issues.
Senior Projects Engineer: 3rd December 2012 – 11th October 2013
- Work with Project Managers to plan and undertake work for various clients based in the North of England.
- Order, configure and deploy various server and infrastructure hardware to client networks.
- Provide assistance to other Project Engineers either in the form of over-the-phone support, or on site assistance.
Infrastructure Support Engineer: 14th May 2012 – 30th November 2012
The Anvil Group
- Maintain and monitor existing infrastructure, and raise possible bottlenecks to the Head of IT.
- Provide IT support for end users.
- Provision and decommission development environments (Linux) for our in-house Dev team as required.
- Ensure documentation of infrastructure was up-to-date and accurate.
Support Analyst (1st,2nd and 3rd Line): 20th June 2010 – 13th March 2012
- Provide end users with IT support.
- Maintain and monitor network infrastructure.
- Work with the IT Director to handle projects such as Microsoft Exchange upgrade and virtual environment rollout.
Global Technical Support Engineer (1st and 2nd Line): October 2007 – 10th June 2010
- Provide IT support to end users.
- Escalate issues that I was unable to solve to the 3rd line team.
A-Levels, Twhynham Sixth Form, Christchurch – September 2003 – July 2005
- AVCE in Information Communication Technology, Pass.
- A/S Level Maths, Pass.
GCSE’s, Twynham Secondary School, Christchurch – September 1999 – July 2003
- GNVQ Engineering: Merit
- Science (Double Award): AA
- Maths: B
- English: B
- ICT: B
- Religious Education: B
- French: C
- English Literature: D
When I’m not making or playing video games, I can be found making and painting models, sometimes from kits, others times from things I have designed and printed myself using my 3D printer. In the summer I enjoy taking my motorcycle out for long rides around the Lake District and taking photographs of the scenery, or taking a weekend out to go visit friends and family in Scotland or Newcastle.
I’m also not against using my personal time to improve my professional skills, either by playing around with new technologies and ideas, or by studying and reading up on existing methods and improved ways of using them.